Crime and punishment in semantics of idioms (on the material of the English language)
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2018. Vol. 7. No. 2. Pp. 162-170.Get the full text (Russian)
Grozny State Oil Technical University
11-60 Zhigulevskaya Street, 364059 Grozny, Chechen Republic, RussiaEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The author of the article analyses semantics of the English idioms representing the concepts of crime and punishment. In the inner form and actual meaning of idioms, the image of crime as a violation, types of crimes, punishment as an action for misconduct, types of punishment were imprinted. Crime is projected through the prism of evidence, presence of witnesses, and recognition of guilt as the factor promoting mitigation of punishment. Punishment is associated with stopping of illegal acts, as an indicative example, a mistake in case of unfair charge; punishment can be severe (under the law, not under the law), and idioms describing “assistance to investigation” highlight three concepts at the same time: treachery (giving away accomplices), motive (own benefit) - mitigation of punishment, and help to justice. The corpus data reveal the semantic properties of idioms in contexts, the specificity of meanings that are not fixed in dictionaries, syntactic compatibility.
- • crime and punishment
- • image component
- • meaning of idioms
- • context
- • corpus approach
- Apresyan Yu. D. IYaSh. 1957. No. 6. Pp. 12.
- Baranov A. N., Dobrovol'skii D. O. Aspekty teorii frazeologii [Aspects of the theory of phraseology]. Moscow: Znak, 2008.
- Baranov A. N., Dobrovol'skii D. O. Slovar'-tezaurus sovremennoi russkoi idiomatiki [Dictionary-thesaurus of contemporary Russian idiomatics]. Moscow: Mir entsiklopedii Avanta +, 2007.
- Ivanova E. V. Mir v angliiskikh i russkikh poslovitsakh: Uchebnoe posobie [The world in English and Russian proverbs: Textbook]. Saint Petersburg: izd-vo S.-Peterb. un-ta, 2006.
- Kubryakova E. S. Kratkii slovar' kognitivnykh terminov [Concise dictionary of cognitive terms]. Moscow: 1996. Pp. 96.
- Lakoff G., Johnson M. Metafory, kotorymi my zhivem [Metaphors we live by]: 2 ed. Moscow: izd-vo LKI, 2008.
- Semantika i kategorizatsiya [Semantics and categorization]. Ed. R. M. Frumkina, A. V. Mikheev. Moscow: Nauka, 1991.
- Computational and Corpus-based Phraseology. Second International Conference, Europhras 2017. Ed. R. Mitkov. London: Springer, 2017.
- Croft W., Cruse D. A. Cognitive Linguistics. Cambridge University Press, 2004. Pp. 1-11.
- Gawron J. M. Frame semantics. 2008. January 31.
- Geeraert K., Baayen R. Harald, Newman J. Proceedings of the 13th Workshop on Multiword Expressions (MWE 2017), Association for Computational Linguistics. Valencia. Spain. April 4. 2017. Rp. 80-90.
- Gibbs R. W., Bogdanovich J. M. Journal of memory and language. 1997. Vol. 37. Rp. 141-154.
- Lakoff G. Metaphor and thought. 2nd edition. Cambridge University Press, 1992.
- Oļehnovičaa I., Ikereb Z., Liepa S. International Conference; Meaning in Translation: Illusion of Precision. MTIP 2016. Riga. Latvia. 11-13 May. 2016. Rp. 25-31.
- Oxford idioms Dictionary for learners of English. Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Sinha Ch. Cognitive Linguistics Research 15. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 1999. Pp. 238.
- URL: http://www.corpus.byu.edu/bnc/.
- URL: http://enc-dic.com/ozhegov/Nakazanie-16954/.
- URL: http://enc-dic.com/ozhegov/Prestuplenie-26251.html.
- URL: http://www.how-to-all.com/znachenie: slot.