History and architectural complex of the Svyato-Uspensky monastery Cosmin Vladimir province
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2017. Vol. 6. No. 2. Pp. 120-135.Get the full text (Russian)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The article devoted to one of the lesser-known monasteries of our country, the Saint-Dormition Cosmas male monastery located in the Alexandrovsky district of Vladimir region. On the basis of archival and published materials, the author considers the founding date of the monastery that varies in different lists of life of St. Cosmas of Yakhromsk. In addition, the author concludes that the miraculous finding of the Yakhromsk icon of the Blessed Virgin by St. Cosmas could happened twenty years earlier than it is considered. That can also change the date of the founding of the monastery. In the article, the author studies the question of the origin of the St. Cosmas of Yakhromsk and concludes that St. Cosmas could be a relative of the Gur’evs-Sekerins, the famous Russian boyar family, which is among the ancestors of A. S. Pushkin. The author of the article also tells about the shrines of the Cosmas monastery and their fate nowadays. It is suggested that the Yakhromsk icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary that is currently kept in the Annunciation Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin could be the icon that was revealed to the St. Cosmas, with which he went to the Kiev-Pechersk monastery, where he was tonsured. If this assumption is true, the Image of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Yakhromsk described by the famous Russian art historian N.P. Kondakov in 1912 is a more recent copy of this icon. The author also gives a brief outline of the history of the monastery in pre-revolutionary and Soviet times and tells about Vladimir restorers, who saved the monastery from destruction in the 1960-1980s. At the end of the article, the author raises the question about the possibility of new archaeological study and scientific-based restoration of the Dormition Cathedral of the monastery including the restoration of its historical five-headed shape, which is typical to such monuments of the 17th century.
- • Saint-Dormition Cosmas monastery
- • saint Cosmas of Yakhromsk
- • Yakhromsk icon of the mother of God
- • Moscow Kremlin
- • Annunciation Cathedral
- • saint Mitrophan
- • bishop of Voronezh
- • tsarina Irina Feodorovna
- • tsar Fyodor Jovanovich
- • tsar Alexei Mikhailovich
- Efimova A. I. Iskusstvo khristianskogo mira: Sb. statei. Moscow, 2002. No. 6. Pp. 247-254.
- Efimova A. I. Iskusstvo khristianskogo mira: Sb. statei. Moscow, 2003. No. 7. Pp. 178-183.
- Nikolaeva T. V. Pamyatniki kul'tury. Novye otkrytiya. Ezhegodnik-1978. Leningrad, 1979. Pp. 326-336.
- Solov'ev K. A. Novye sotsiokul'turnye funktsii gorodskikh pravoslavnykh monastyrei v zhizni Rossii kontsa XIX - nachala XX veka [The new socio-cultural functions of Orthodox monasteries located in towns in the life of Russia of the late 19th-early 20th centuries]. Moscow: ITKOR, 2011. Pp. 56.
- Solov'ev K. A. Vestnik Bryanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. 2016. No. 1 (27). Pp. 112-119.
- Solov'ev K. A. Nauchnaya mysl'. 2016. No. 1. Pp. 167-174.
- Soloviev K. A. Zhurnal Sibirskogo federal'nogo universiteta. Seriya: Gumanitarnye nauki. 2017. Vol. 10. No. 2. Pp. 205-213. https://doi.org/10.17516/1997-1370-0021.
- Svyatyni zemli Vladimirskoi. Svyato-Uspenskii Kosmin monastyr' v sele Nebyloe. Istoriya i sovremennost'. Vladimir, 2005. Pp. 8-19.
- Trofimova N. N. Pamyatniki kul'tury. Novye otkrytiya. Ezhegodnik-1978. L.,1979. Pp. 426-430.
- Shchennikova L. A. Rossiya i khristianskii Vostok. Moscow, 1997. Pp. 49-63.
- Shchennikova L. A. Monastyri Rossii: Mat-ly VII Rossiiskoi nauchnoi konferentsii, posvyashchennoi pamyati Svyatitelya Makariya. Mozhaisk: Terra, 2000. No. 7. Pp. 165-176.
- Shchennikova L. A. Iskusstvo khristianskogo mira: Sb. statei. Moscow, 2001. No. 5. Pp. 276-283.
- Shchennikova L. A. Zhurnal Moskovskoi Patriarkhii. Tserkovnaya zhizn'. No. 7. 2002.
- Entsiklopedicheskii slovar' Brokgauza i Efrona [Brockhaus and Efron encyclopedic dictionary]. 1895. T. XVa. Koala - Konkordiya. Pp. 611.
- Belkin A. N. Nauka, obrazovanie i eksperimental'noe proektirovanie: Tezisy dokladov. Moscow: Moskovskii arkhitekturnyi institut (gosudarstvennaya akademiya), 2014. Pp. 222-223.
- Belkin A. N. Nauchnoe obozrenie. 2015. No. 8. Pp. 164-167.
- Rybakov B. A. Iz istorii kul'tury Drevnei Rusi [From history of culture of Ancient Rus]. Moscow: Izd-vo MGU, 1984. Pp. 241.
- Solov`ev Kirill A. Slavica Gandensia. Gent. 2004. No. 31. Pp. 133-145.
- Solov'ev K. A. Podmoskovnyi letopisets. 2005. No. 03(05). Pp. 28-35.
- Solov'ev K. A. Podmoskovnyi letopisets. 2008. No. 01(15). Pp. 68-72.
- Stolyarenko S. N. Pamyatniki istorii i kul'tury Verkhnego Povolzh'ya: Mat-ly 2-i regional'noi konferentsii. Nizhnii Novgorod, 1991. Pp. 156.