The problem of effectiveness of public political discourse of a conflict situation
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2016. Vol. 5. No. 6. Pp. 590-600.Get the full text (Russian)Email: email@example.com
In the article is the problem of discourse effectiveness is considered, in particular of political discourse of a conflict situation. Conflict political discourse is regarded as a text determined by the theme of stating the interests of political subjects in the process of their interaction in a situation of political conflict. Goal-settings of conflict political discourse expressed in its subject type of content are connected with information, persuasion, invocation, and penance that served as the basis for distinguishing the genres of political discourse. In the article, the possibility of describing discourse effectiveness according to the theory of factors of speech regulation by M. Y. Blokh is proved. Effective and ineffective political rhetoric is illustrated by two political speeches by G. W. Bush (Bush’s address to Congress on September 20, 2001 and his address to the nation on Iraq on March 17, 2003). The criterion of effectiveness was resolution-non-resolution (partial resolution) of the conflict in a certain historical situation. In the process of research it was found out that the key role in building discourse effectiveness is played by presupposition and postsupposition factors connected with the views of the speaker and the listener on each other. Successful realization of discourse functions is also prompted by the goal content of the utterance, personal status of the speaker and the listener, level of discourse formality, and the degree of discourse impressiveness.
- • political discourse
- • political conflict
- • genre
- • dicteme
- • functions of political discourse
- • effectiveness of discourse
- Aleshina E. Yu. Liberal Arts in Russia. 2016. Vol. 5. No. 3.
- Aleshina E. Yu. Publichnyi politicheskii diskurs konfliktnoi situatsii [Public political discourse of a conflict situation]. Moscow: Prometei, 2015.
- Aleshina E. Yu. Politicheskaya lingvistika. 2014. No. 2 (48). Pp. 108-113.
- Blokh M. Ya., Aleshina E. Yu. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo oblastnogo universiteta. Seriya Lingvistika. 2015. No. 2. Pp. 6-11.
- Blokh M. Ya. Voprosy yazykoznaniya. 2000. No. 4. Pp. 56-67.
- Blokh M. Ya. Yazyk. Kul'tura. Rechevoe obshchenie. 2013. No. 1. Pp. 5-11.
- Blokh M. Ya. Yazyk. Kul'tura. Rechevoe obshchenie. 2013. No. 2. Pp. 5-10.
- Veber M. Izbrannye proizvedeniya [Selected works]. Moscow: Prosveshchenie, 1990.
- Darendorf R. Sovremennyi sotsial'nyi konflikt [The modern social conflict]. Moscow: Rosspen, 2002.
- Dem'yankov V. Z. Politicheskaya nauka. Politicheskii diskurs: Istoriya i sovremennye issledovaniya. Moscow, 2002. No. 3. Pp. 32-43.
- Kommersant.ru. Cpetsproekty. URL: http://kommersant.ru/doc/1766558.
- Manoilo A. V. Mir i politika. 2013. 15 marta. URL: http://mir-politika.ru/3999-politicheskie-konflikty-v-mezhdunarodnyh-otnosheniyah-i-mirovoy-politike.html.
- Beaugrande R. A. de, Dressler W. U. Introduction to text linguistics. London: Longman, 1981.
- Blake A. The Washington Post. 2013. April 24.
- Charland M. Encyclopedia of rhetoric. Ed. Sloan T. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Pp. 616-619.
- Sharland M. Quarterly Journal of Speech. 1987. Vol. 73. Pp. 133-150.
- Charland, M. Quarterly Journal of Speech. 1991. Vol. 77. Pp. 71-74.
- Gelb L. Wall Street Journal. 2004. May 20. P. A12.
- Morik K. Überzeugungssysteme der Künstlichen Intelligenz: Validierung vor dem Hintergrund linguistischer Theorien über implizite Äusserungen. Tübingen: Niemeyer, 1982.
- Zagacki K. S. Western Journal of Communication. 2007. Vol. 71. No. 4. Pp. 272-293.
- Transcript of President George W. Bush's Monday address to joint session of Congress following 9/11 (delivered 20 September, 2001). American Rhetoric. URL: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/gwbush911jointsessionspeech.htm.
- Transcript of President George W. Bush's Monday night televised address to the nation (delivered 17 March, 2003) . URL: http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/17/sprj.irq.bush.transcript/.