Symbolic Meaning of Number Four in European Spiritual Poetry (T. S. Eliot, E. Swartz)
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2013. Vol. 2. No. 1. Pp. 49-56.Get the full text (Russian)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The article is devoted to the four principle realization in the creative work of two poets, namely the English literature classic T.S. Eliot (1888-1965) and a representative of the Russian poetry Elena Swarz (1948-2010). Number four is a structural principle in their works composition and crucifix of Christ. On the example of the two poets the author shows that on the one hand, the symbol of four is a cosmic transversalism of being and the cross image, on the other. Thus, two contradictory meanings are combined here: harmony and drama as truly Christian forms of dialectics.
- • E. Swarz
- • figure four
- • figure five
- • time
- • eternity
- • symbol
- • universality
- • composition
- • centre
- Krit-skii A. Kanon Velikii. Moscow, ANO «Znamenie», 2006.
- Shvarts E. Stikhotvoreniya i poemy Eleny Shvarts. Saint Petersburg, «INAPRESS», 1999.
- Shvarts E. http://www.poeziaduh.com/news/stikhi_o_boge_elena_shvarc/2010-10-24-397.
- Eliot T. Izbrannaya poeziya. SPb , «SEVERO-ZAPAD», 1994.
- Eliot T.S. Selected Poetry, “SEVERO-ZAPAD”, 1994.
- Yung K. Otvet Iovu. Moscow, OI «Reabilitatsiya», 1998.