The status of the terminological unit “ART” in the modern English terminological system of Art History
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2020. Vol. 9. No. 4. Pp. 264-272.Get the full text (Russian)Email: email@example.com
Despite the wide use of the term art not only within the Art criticism terminology, but also in the general literary language, this lexical unit is mentioned less and less in modern specialized dictionaries. This observation points to the problem of the controversy of the terminological status of art. The relevance of this study is related to the revision of the lexeme art as a key concept of the term system of Art History and the core of the Art History terminology. In this work, for the first time, art is analyzed for its terminological status. Since art is one of the most functional lexical units of Art History, the change in its status is a reflection of the specificity of the development of the Art History terminological system, which enables us to put forward the following hypothesis: the absence of a clearly formulated definition of the term calls into question its scientific status, which can lead to desemantization of the term, and, as a result, to its determinologization. In the present study, such linguistic methods are used as the definitive analysis, as well as elements of sema-seological and morphological analysis. The material for the study comprised both explanatory dictionaries of the English language and specialized terminological dictionaries related to Art History. As a result of this study the reasons according to which art has lost its terminological status are identified. The main reason can be referred to the lack of definition. Determinologization of the term does not mean its final withdrawal from the terminological system. On the contrary, the analysis of the lexical unit art as well as its functioning made it possible to conclude that the term can be categorized as terminoid and term element. The results obtained can be useful for compiling a modern dictionary of Art History terms in the English language. The issues under study will be of interest to specialists in the humanities, in particular, linguists dealing with terminology.
- • art
- • art
- • terminology
- • term
- • art terminology
- • definition
- • determinologization
- Avakova L. A. Transformatsiya znachenii shakhmatnykh terminov na gazetnoi polose. URL: http://vestnik.adygnet.ru/files/2006.2/281/avakova2006_2.pdf.
- Golovin B. N. Lingvisticheskie osnovy ucheniya o terminakh: ucheb. posobie dlya filol. spets. vuzov [Linguistic foundations of the doctrine of terms: textbook for universities that specialize in philology]. Moscow: Vyssh. shk., 1987.
- Grinev-Grinevich S. V. Terminovedenie: ucheb. posobie dlya stud. vyssh. ucheb. zavedenii [Science of terminology: textbook for university students]. Moscow: Akademiya, 2008.
- Danilenko V. P. Issledovaniya po russkoi terminologii. Moscow: Nauka, 1971. Pp. 7-67.
- Danilenko V. P. Russkaya terminologiya [Russian terminology]. Moscow: Nauka, 1977.
- Kobrin R. Yu. NTI. Ser. 2. Informatsionnye protsessy i sistemy. 1981. No. 8. Pp. 7-10.
- Leichik V. M. Nauchno-tekhnicheskaya terminologiya (nauchno-ref. sbornik). Moscow, 2001. No. 2. Pp. 54-55.
- Leichik V. M. Terminovedenie: predmet, metody, struktura [Science of terminology: subject, methods, structure]. Moscow: Izdatel'stvo LKI, 2007.
- Lotte D. S. Izvestiya Akademii Nauk SSSR. Moscow: Nauka, 1931. Pp. 881−883.
- Lubozhaeva L. N. Yazyki professional'noi kommunikatsii. Chelyabinsk, 2007. Pp. 57-60.
- Nalepin V. L. Termin i terminosistema kak predmet leksikologii: avtoref. dis. ... kand. filol. nauk. Moscow: MGU, 1975.
- Reformat-skii A. A. Sovremennye problemy russkoi terminologii. Moscow, 1986. Pp. 165-166.
- Superanskaya A. V., Podol'skaya N. V., Vasil'eva N. V. Obshchaya terminologiya: Voprosy teorii [General terminology: Questions of theory]. Moscow: LIBROKOM, 2012.
- Tolikina E. N. Voprosy terminologii i lingvisticheskoi statistiki. Voronezh, 1980. Pp. 57-59.
- Khizhnyak S. P. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Povolzhskii region. Gumanitarnye nauki. 2014. No. 3(31). Pp. 144-150.
- Shmeleva O. Yu. Terminologicheskie protsessy v diakhronii i sinkhronii (na materiale angliiskogo yazyka) [Terminological processes in diachrony and synchrony (based on the English language)]. Saint Petersburg: Izd. SPbGUEF, 2010.
- Lyons J. Semantics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1977. Vol. 1.
- Oxford Wordpower Dictionary. 3rd edition.. Ed. Joanna Turnbull. Oxford University Press, 2006.
- The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms. 2nd ed. URL: https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199569922.001.0001/acref-9780199569922.
- The Oxford Dictionary of Art. 3rd ed. URL: https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780198604761.001.0001/acref-9780198604761.
- The Oxford Dictionary of Art and Artists. 4th ed. URL: https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199532940.001.0001/acref-9780199532940.
- The Oxford Dictionary of Art and Artists. 5th ed. URL: https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780191782763.001.0001/acref-9780191782763.
- Ullman S. The Principles of Semantics. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1967.