Renaissance nature of Peter’s transformations
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2020. Vol. 9. No. 3. Pp. 174-185.Get the full text (Russian)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The article challenges the traditional notion that there was no Renaissance in Russia. Traditionally, it is believed that Russia had a pre-Renaissance, but there was no Renaissance, and Renaissance achievements penetrated into Russian culture in fragments, sporadically and through irregular development of the norms of different European cultural systems. However, there is every reason to recognize the existence of a full-fledged Russian Renaissance and consider it as a national “cultural explosion”. The basis of the Renaissance gene is the secularization of culture and the freedom of the individual who seeks to get happiness on earth. Not “Nature”, but the technosphere began to attract people’s minds; the ideal city had to combine the benefits of nature and civilization. Peter I, by virtue of his biographical features, acted as a ruler of the Renaissance type and created social and technical conditions for the development of the Renaissance culture in Russia. St. Petersburg built by the Tsar’s will became a masterpiece of the Renaissance. Its architecture implemented the Renaissance city model. It created conditions for the development of a Renaissance culture. Technical, architectural, military, scientific, and administrative innovations were insufficient. It required a “cultural explosion” and a lot of hard work by figures of Russian science, technology, literature, painting, architecture, sculpture, historians, and philosophers. Only persons whose mental horizon was not limited to the narrow class interests of the nobility could successfully solve such task. The dominant Renaissance personality in the Russian culture is Mikhail Lomonosov, who was born in peasantry.
- • Renaissance
- • cultural explosion
- • ideal city
- • technosphere
- • nature
- • secularization
- • personal freedom
- • Peter I
- • Lomonosov
- Anisimov E. V. Petr Pervyi: blago ili zlo dlya Rossii? [Peter the First: good or bad for Russia?] Moscow: Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie, 2019.
- Bakhtin M. M. Voprosy literatury i estetiki [Questions of literature and aesthetics]. Moscow: Khudozhestvennaya literatura, 1975.
- Bashutskii A. Panorama Sankt-Peterburga [Panorama of St. Petersburg]. Saint Petersburg, 1834. Pp. 130.
- Branskii V. P. Karminskie chteniya. Saint Petersburg, 2011. Pp. 32.
- Burgkhart Ya. Kul'tura Vozrozhdeniya v Italii [Renaissance culture in Italy]. Moscow: Yurist''. 1996. Pp. 39.
- Garen E. Problemy ital'yanskogo Vozrozhdeniya [Problems of the Italian Renaissance]. Moscow, 1986. Pp. 218.
- Golikov I. Dopolneniya k "Deyaniyam Petra Velikogo" [Supplements to the "Acts of Peter the Great"]. Moscow, 1994. Vol. 12. Pp. 120.
- Gukovskii G. A. Russkaya literatura XVIII veka [Russian literature of the 18th century]. Moscow: Uchpedgiz, 1939. Pp. 108.
- Gukovskii G. A. Istoriya russkoi literatury. Moscow, 1947. T. IV. Pp. 160.
- Zemtsov B. N., Shubin A. V., Danilevskii I. N. Istoriya Rossii [History of Russia]. Moscow: Piter, 2013. Pp. 10.
- Ivanov M. V. Shedevr Vozrozhdeniya [Renaissance masterpiece]. Saint Petersburg: Nevskii fond, 2010.
- Ivanov M. V. Avgustin Betankur: Ot traditsii k budushchemu inzhenernogo obrazovaniya. Saint Petersburg: Izd-vo PGUPS, 2018. Pp. 94.
- Ivanov M. V. Liberal Arts in Russia. 2015. Vol. 4. No. 1. Pp. 43-49.
- Ivanov M. V. Psikhologiya obrazovaniya v polikul'turnom prostranstve. 2015. No. 2. Pp. 26-31.
- Klyuchevskii V. O. Russkaya istoriya [Russian history]. Moscow: Eksmo, 2005. Pp. 665.
- Likhachev D. S. O filologii [On philology]. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola, 1989. Pp. 126.
- Lotman Yu. M. "Slovo o polku Igoreve" - pamyatnik XII veka. Moscow: Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1962. Pp. 338.
- Lotman Yu. M. Kul'tura i vzryv [Culture and explosion]. Moscow: AST, 2018.
- Markov B. V. Filosofiya [Philosophy]. Moscow: Piter, 2012. Pp. 290.
- Osborne R. Tsivilizatsiya. Novaya istoriya Zapadnogo mira [Civilization: A new history of the Western world]. Moscow: Khranitel', 2007. Pp. 287.
- Panchenko A. M. O russkoi istorii i kul'ture [About Russian history and culture]. Saint Petersburg: Azbuka, 2000.
- Panchenko A. M. Zvezda. 2008. Pp. 299.
- Pipes R. Rossiya pri starom rezhime [Russia under the old regime]. Moscow: Zakharov, 2004.
- Sakharov A. N. Istoriya Rossii v 2-kh tomakh. T. I. S drevneishikh vremen do kontsa XVIII veka. Moscow: AST, 2003. Pp. IV-V.
- Svak D. Vestnik SPbGU. Istoriya. 2017. Vol. 62. No. 4. Pp. 905.
- Estetika Renessansa v 2-kh tomakh [Aesthetics of the Renaissance in 2 volumes]. Moscow: Iskusstvo, 1981. Vol. 2. Pp. 503.
- Dvornichenko A. Y. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. 2018. Vol. 63. No. 2. Pp. 646.