Mass culture as globalization phenomenon
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2018. Vol. 7. No. 4. Pp. 260-272.Get the full text (Russian)Email: email@example.com
The author of the article studies the modern mass culture as the globalization phenomenon expressing the tendencies of a cultural universalization in the world connected by achievements of modernization on the basis of scientific and technical progress. Communication of mass culture with modern technologies (information technologies in the first place) is shown. The author performs a complex analysis of the mass culture. The phenomenon is analyzed, on the one hand, as the component of modern cultural and historical process connected with mass distribution and socio-cultural adaptation of achievements of modernization is submitted, and on the other, as the cultural project of westernization, the global distribution of western (especially American) culture, its principles, standards, and values. The most important feature of the complex analysis of mass culture is the analysis of its worldview contents. It is shown that in its worldview, mass culture represents consumerism connected with justification of values of consumer society and a way of life. The author supposes that the worldview of mass culture reflects understanding of self-affirmation of a person from a position of stimulation of growth of requirements, mostly material requirements, as the economic systems of the developed industrial and post-industrial societies are focused on them. The anthropological addressee of mass culture is “the mass human” having standard system of requirements. The influence of mass culture on such kind of person is very high. Therefore, the realization of enculturation and socialization functions of mass culture in the socio-cultural environment integrated by it is considered from a position of the growing social influence. The author also considers mass culture with its inherent technological capabilities and communicative resources as a product of long-term process of formation of the global meta-culture connected with multidimensional dialogue of cultures in the conditions of information globalization. This process is expressed by a tendency of a cultural universalization as the most important direction of globalization in the modern world.
- • mass culture
- • modernization
- • globalization
- • cultural universalization
- • westernization
- • mass media
- • values
- Bek U. Chto takoe globalizatsiya? [What is globalization?] Moscow: Progress-Traditsiya, 2001.
- Berestovskaya D. S. Istoriya khudozhestvennoi kul'tury Zapadnoi Evropy i SShA XX veka [The history of artistic culture of Western Europe and the USA of the 20th century]. Simferopol': Arial, 2011.
- Brzezinski Z. Velikaya shakhmatnaya doska: Gospodstvo Ameriki i ego geostrategicheskie imperativy [The grand chessboard: American primacy and its geostrategic imperatives]. Moscow: Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 1998.
- Kagan M. Filosofiya kul'tury [Philosophy of culture]. Saint Petersburg: Petropolis, 1996.
- Kostina A. V. Znanie. Ponimanie. Umenie. 2006. No. 1. Pp. 28-35.
- Krims'kii S. B., Pavlenko Yu. V. Tsivіlіzatsіinii rozvitok lyudstva. K.: Fenіks, 2007.
- Kukarkin A. V. Burzhuaznaya massovaya kul'tura: Teorii. Idei. Raznovidnosti. Obraztsy [Bourgeois mass culture: Theories. Ideas. Varieties. Examples]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1978.
- Kul'turologiya: Uchebnoe posobie dlya studentov vuzov [Culturology: Textbook for university students]. Ed. G. V. Dracha. Rostov n/D: Feniks, 2006.
- Lazarev F. V. Grazhdanskoe obshchestvo v epokhu total'noi globalizatsii: monografiya. Simferopol': ARIAL, 2011. Pp. 147-167.
- Markuze G. Odnomernyi chelovek. Moscow: REFL-book, 1994.
- Matetskaya A. V. Samygin S. I. Sotsiologiya kul'tury: uchebnoe posobie [Sociology of culture: textbook]. Rostov n/D: Feniks, 2007.
- Ortega y Gasset J. Vosstanie mass [The revolt of the masses]. Moscow: AST, 2002.
- Podol'skaya Є. A., Likhvar V. D., Pogorіlii D. Є. Kul'turologіya: kreditno-modul'nii kurs. Khrestomatiya. Khar'kov: FOP Chizhenko S. Yu., 2007.
- Stepin V. S. Vek globalizatsii. 2011. No. 2. Pp. 8-17.
- Suhina I. G. Aksiologiya kul'tury: filosofsko-antropologicheskie osnovaniya: monografiya [Axiology of culture: philosophical-anthropological bases: monograph]. Donetsk: Donbass, 2011.
- Fromm E. Radi lyubvi k zhizni. Moscow: AST, 2000. Pp. 21-188.
- Horkkheimer M., Adorno T. Dialektika Prosveshcheniya. Filosofskie fragmenty [Dialectics of Enlightenment. Philosophical fragments]. Moscow: Medium, 1997.
- Shapinskaya E. N. Ocherki populyarnoi kul'tury (Tekhnologii kul'tury) [Essays on popular culture (Technologies of culture)]. Moscow: Akademicheskii proekt, 2008.
- Jaspers K. Smysl i naznachenie istorii. Moscow: Respublika, 1994. Pp. 287-418.
- Dodd C. H. Dynamics of Intercultural Communication. Brown & Benchmark, 1995.
- Perry M., Chase M., Jacob J. R. Western Civilization: Ideas, Politics & Society. Third Edition. Boston: Mifflin, 1989.