The concept of democratic socialism as the basis of intellectual projects of the Russian Social Democrats (the Mensheviks) in the 1920s
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2017. Vol. 6. No. 6. Pp. 513-522.Get the full text (Russian)Email: email@example.com
The article devoted to the analysis of theoretical and conceptual developments of the Russian Social Democrats (the Mensheviks) in the emigrant period. The authors note that the concept of democratic socialism, which began to be formed in 1917, was considerably amended and deepened when the Mensheviks created a new party program developed in 1922-1924. The significance of this program of the RSDLP is practically not evaluated in the science literature. In the analysis of Soviet historiography, the authors of the article outlined the lack of attention to the projects of the Mensheviks in emigration, as the researchers insisted on the collapse of the RSDLP in post-October period. Some of modern researchers are highly skeptical about the intellectual developments of the Russian Social Democrats after the events of October 1917. However, the authors identified a number of innovative elements in the projects of the Mensheviks in this time. The new party program is an original stage in the formation of the concept of post-revolutionary development of Russia. In the course of the inner-party discussion, the differences in assessing the degree of Russia’s readiness for socialist transformation, as well as the Bolshevik experiment with various internal political trends, were sharply denoted. The article analyzes the positions of representatives of the official Mensheviks and the right wing of the party. The authors acknowledge the significant transformation of the political attitudes of the Mensheviks, pointing to some delusional and utopian nature of a number of program theses.
- • Russian Social Democrats
- • concept of democratic socialism
- • Mensheviks
- • Bolsheviks
- • Soviet Russia
- • emigration
- • RSDLP
- Tyutyukin S. V. Voina, mir i revolyutsiya [War, peace and revolution]. Moscow: Mysl', 1972.
- Ruban N. V. Oktyabr'skaya revolyutsiya i krakh men'shevizma (mart 1917 - 1918 gg.) [The October revolution and the collapse of the Menshevism (March 1917-1918)]. Moscow: Mysl', 1968.
- Volobuev O. V. Ideino-teoreticheskaya bor'ba po voprosam revolyutsii 1905-1907 gg. [The ideological and theoretical struggle on the issues of the revolution of 1905-1907]. Moscow: Vyssh. shk., 1984.
- Spirin L. M. Klassy i partii v Grazhdanskoi voine v Rossii (1917-1920) [Classes and parties in the Civil war in Russia (1917-1920)]. Moscow: Mysl', 1968.
- Podbolotov P. A., Spirin L. M. Krakh men'shevizma v sovet-skoi Rossii [The collapse of the Menshevism in Soviet Russia]. Leningrad: Lenizdat, 1988.
- Neproletarskie partii Rossii. Urok istorii [Non-proletarian parties of Russia. History lesson]. Moscow: Mysl', 1984.
- Volobuev O. V., Il'yashchuk G. I. Istoriya SSSR. 1991. No. 2.
- Tyutyukin S. V., Shelokhaev V. V. Marxisty i russkaya revolyutsiya [Marxists and the Russian revolution]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 1995.
- Tyutyukin S. V. Otechestvennaya istoriya. 1998. No. 6.
- Tyutyukin S. V. Men'shevizm: stranitsy istorii [The Menshevism: pages of history]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2002.
- Libich A., Mikhailov A., Nenarokov A., Panaccione A. Men'sheviki v 1922-1924 gg. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2004.
- Khvalin I. V. Ideinye osnovy i obshchestvenno-politicheskaya deyatel'nost' men'shevist-skoi emigratsii v 1920-30-e gg.: dis. ... kand. ist. nauk. Moscow, 2004.
- Ignat'eva O. A. Men'sheviki o putyakh ekonomicheskogo razvitiya Rossii v 1917-1924 gg.: dis. ... kand. ist. nauk. Saint Petersburg, 2005.
- Uryadova A. V. Sotsial'no-ekonomicheskoe i obshchestvenno-politicheskoe razvitie Sovet-skoi Rossii v 1920-e gg.: vospriyatie i reaktsiya russkoi emigratsii: dis. ... kand. ist. nauk. Yaroslavl', 2011.
- Liebich A. From the other shore. Russian Social Democracy after 1921. Harvard University Press. 1997.
- Getzler I. Martov. Critical companion to the Russian Revolution, 1914-1921. London, 1997.
- Nenarokov A. P., Savel'ev P. Yu. Obshchestvennaya mysl' Russkogo zarubezh'ya: Entsiklopediya. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2009.
- Martov Yu. O. Nasha platforma. Sotsialisticheskii Vestnik 4 oktyabrya 1922 goda. Men'sheviki v 1921-1922 gg. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2002.
- Dan F. Men'sheviki v 1922-1924 gg. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2004.
- Lichnoe pis'mo Kuchina G. Men'sheviki v 1922-1924 gg. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2004.
- Kuchin G. D. Men'sheviki v 1922-1924 gg. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2004.
- Aronson G. Ya. Men'sheviki v 1922-1924 gg. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2004.
- Dan F. I. Men'sheviki v 1922-1924 gg. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2004.
- Volin S. Men'sheviki: ot revolyutsii 1917 goda do Vtoroi mirovoi voiny. Moscow: Sobranie, 2009.
- Rasshirennyi Plenum TsK RSDRP. Men'sheviki v 1922-1924 gg. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2004.