Translation of the culture specific words in the scientific literature (on the material of the novel-biography by S. B. Smith “Elizabeth the Queen”)
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2017. Vol. 6. No. 5. Pp. 425-434.Get the full text (Russian)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The article devoted to the study of one of the complex concepts in modern linguistics, namely realia. The realia are specific signs of culture and carriers of information about the world from the ethnic point of view. They include unique meanings, interacting with objects, and phenomena of one culture, not existing in the other. The aim of this work is to study the usage of culture specific words, their main features and functioning, and the ways of translation of such lexical units in scientific literature on the material of the novel-biography by S. B. Smith, “Elizabeth the Queen” and its official translation made by M. Desyatova. The analysis revealed the characteristic features of the realia, the main of which are uniqueness, unambiguous, non-equivalence, local and temporary coloring. It is also found out that all the realia, which were studied, function as markers of a foreign culture, create national historic flavor, provide aesthetization of everyday objects and character features. With regard to the methods of translation of the analyzed realia, the main of them are transcription, transliteration, calking, and descriptive translation. In addition, the author recorded individual use of hyponymic and contextual translation. Thus, still there is no single universal method of translation of national specific language, so the translator must make a conscious choice, assessing all the features of the culture specific words in a single segment of a text.
- • realia
- • culture specific words
- • non-equivalent words
- • scientific literature
- • novel-biography
- • transcription
- • transliteration
- • calking
- Alekseeva I. S. Vvedenie v perevodovedenie: ucheb. posobie dlya stud. uchrezhdenii vyssh. prof. Obrazovaniya [Introduction to translation studies: textbook for university students]. Saint Petersburg: Filologicheskii fakul'tet SPbGU.
- Akmalova A. F. Nauchnoe soobshchestvo studentov XXI stoletiya. Gumanitarnye nauki: sb. st. po mat. XX mezhdunar. stud. nauch.-prakt. konf. No. 5(20). URL: http://sibac.info/archive/guman/5(20).pdf.
- Barkhudarov L. S. Yazyk i perevod [Language and translation]. Moscow: Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 1975.
- Vezhbitskaya A. Yazyk. Kul'tura. Poznanie [Language. Culture. Cognition]. Moscow: Pucskie slovari, 1996.
- Vereshchagin E. M. Lingvostranovedcheskaya teoriya slova [Linguistic country-studying theory of the word]. Moscow: Nauka, 1980.
- Vernigorova V. A. Molodoi uchenyi. 2010. No. 3. Pp. 184-186.
- Vinogradov V. S. Leksicheskie voprosy perevoda khudozhestvennoi prozy [Lexical issues of translation of literary prose]. Moscow: izd-vo Moskovskogo universiteta, 1978.
- Vlakhov S. I., Florin S. P. Neperevodimoe v perevode [Untranslatable in translation]. Izd. 4. Moscow: R. Valent, 2009.
- Ermolovich D. I. Imena sobstvennye na styke yazykov i kul'tur [Proper names at the crossroads of languages and cultures]. Moscow: R. Valent, 2001.
- Komissarov V. N. Teoriya perevoda (lingvisticheskie aspekty): ucheb. dlya in-tov i fak. inostr. yaz. [Theory of translation (linguistic aspects): textbook for institutes and departments of foreign languages]. Moscow: Vyssh. shk., 1990.
- Markovina I. Yu., Vasil'chenko T. A. Lakuny v yazyke i rechi: Sb. nauch. trudov. Moscow: izd-vo BGPU, 2003.
- Moroz N. A. Molodoi uchenyi. 2015. No. 15.2. Pp. 53-54.
- Nelyubin L. L. Tolkovyi perevodovedcheskii slovar' [Explanatory dictionary of translation study]. Moscow: Flinta, 2009.
- Sobolev L. N. Posobie po perevodu s russkogo yazyka na frantsuzskii [Reference book for translation from Russian into French]. Moscow: izd-vo literatury na inostrannykh yazykakh, 1952.
- Suprun A. E. Ekzoticheskaya leksika [Exotic vocabulary]. Moscow: FN, 1958. No. 2.
- Tomakhin G. D. Realii v yazyke i kul'ture [Realia in the language and culture]. Moscow: IYaSh, 1997.
- Chernov G. V. Uchenye zapiski 1-go MGPIIYa. Moscow: G. V. Chernov, 1958. Vol. 16.
- Shereminskaya L. G. Nastol'naya kniga perevodchika [Translator's handbook]. Rostov n/D: Feniks, 2008.
- Smit S. B. Koroleva: biografiya [The queen: biography]. Moscow: KoLibri, 2013.
- Smith S. B. Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch. New York: Random House, 2012.