Industrialist S. I. Maltsov as one of the pioneers of Russian industry of the second half of the nineteenth century
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2017. Vol. 6. No. 2. Pp. 194-202.Get the full text (Russian)Email: email@example.com
The article is devoted to the history of development of Russian entrepreneurship in the second half of the 19th century. Sergei Ivanovich Maltsov was a well-known Russian industrialist. In the territory of the Kaluga region in the second half of the 19th century, S. I. Maltsov created a large industrial zone. The factories of the Maltsov industrial region produced railways, steam engines, steamships, locomotives, wagons, agricultural machines. In the town Dyatkovo, Maltsov’s plant produced unique crystal goods. In 1871 Maltsov built the first personal telegraph line in Russia. In two years (1877-1878) a narrow-gauge railroad with a length of more than 300 km was constructed, which connected all the factories of the Maltsovsky industrial region. All the Maltsov’s products and machines were of excellent quality. At the Moscow Polytechnic Fair in 1872, S. I. Maltsov was awarded a gold medal and a certificate of the first degree for demonstrating the process of manufacturing a locomotive. In the 1870s, Maltsov carried out a large order from the Ministry of Railways of the Russian Empire. He produced 150 locomotives and about 3 thousands wagons. However, the new minister did not pay for the order. The government of the Russian Empire turned out to be an unreliable trading partner. Bureaucratic arbitrariness led to the collapse of Maltsov’s enterprise. In 1893 S. I. Maltsov died. Many of his machines and industrial products were unique and some of them were made for the first time in Russia. Therefore, we call S. I. Maltsov a pioneer of Russian industry.
- • private industrialists
- • Russia
- • Russian Empire
- • 19th century
- • railway construction
- • steam locomotive production
- • S. I. Maltsov
- Shelokhaev V. V. Rossiya: gosudarstvennye prioritety i natsional'nye interesy. Moscow, 2000.
- Nemirovich-Danchenko V. I. Amerika v Rossii - Russkaya Mysl' [America in Russia - Russian idea]. Moscow, 1882.
- Subbotin A. P. Mal'tsovskii zavodskoi raion. Istoriya i nastoyashchee ekonomicheskoe polozhenie [The Maltsovsky industrial district. History and present economic situation]. Saint Petersburg, 1892.
- Kareev N. I. Entsiklopedicheskii slovar': izd-vo Brokgauza i Efrona. Saint Petersburg, 1896. Vol. 18a. Pp. 510-511.
- Serebryakov G. F. Razvitie promyshlennosti Mal'tsovskogo okruga: (istoricheskii ocherk) [The development of the Maltsovsky industrial district: (historical essay)]. Mal'tskombinat, 1928.
- Paradizov P. P. Istoriya proletariata SSSR. Moscow, 1930. No. 2. Pp. 114.
- Dozortsev S. S. Bryanskii kraeved. Bryansk, 1974. Vyp. VII. Pp. 283.
- Bauer A. A. Mal'tsovskii mir: Nauchnyi sbornik [The world of Maltsov. Scientific collection]. Kirov: Lyudinovskaya gorodskaya tipografiya, 1999. No. 1.
- Ul'yanova G. N. S. I. Mal'tsov i istoriya razvitiya Mal'tsovskogo promyshlennogo raiona. Bryansk. 1994. Ch. I. Pp. 31.
- Ul'yanova G. N. Mal'tsovskii mir: Nauchnyi sbornik. No. 1. Kirov: Lyudinovskaya gorodskaya tipografiya, 1999. Pp. 12.
- Arsent'ev N. M., Makushev A. A. Rossiiskie predprinimateli Mal'tsovy [The Maltsovs, Russian entrepreneurs]. Saransk: Mordovskoe knizhnoe izdatel'stvo, 2006.
- Arsent'ev N. M., Makushev A. A. Khrustal'nye koroli Rossii [Crystal kings of Russia]. Moscow: Nauka, 2002.
- Makushev A. A. Predprinimatel'skaya deyatel'nost' Mal'tsovykh vo vtoroi polovine XVIII - nachale XX veka: industrial'noe nasledie [Entrepreneurship of the Maltsovs in the second half of the 18th-early 20th centuries: industrial heritage]. Saransk: Mordovskoe knizhnoe izdatel'stvo, 2006.
- Ageev S. E. Vestnik Bryanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. 2014. No. 2. Pp. 19-21.
- Nemchinova D. I. Khudozhestvennoe steklo Dyat'kovskogo zavoda. Stranitsy istorii [Art glass of Dyatkovo plant. The pages of history]. Saint Petersburg: Iskusstvo Rossii, 2009.
- RGVIA. F. 3545. Op. 4.
- Bauer. A. A. S. I. Mal'tsov i istoriya razvitiya Mal'tsovskogo promyshlennogo raiona: Istoriko-kraevedcheskii ocherk [Maltsev and history of the Maltsovsky industrial district: local history essay]. Bryansk: Grani, 1994.
- Ageev S. E. Razvitie chastnopredprinimatel'skoi promyshlennosti Rossii vo vtoroi polovine XIX veka (po materialam Mal'tsovskikh zavodov): rukopis' magisterskogo issledovaniya. MGPU, 2012.
- Erokhina. N. I. Lyudinovskii teplovozo-stroitel'nyi [Lyudinovsky Locomotive Plant]. Kaluga: Zolotaya alleya, 1995.
- Zakharov V. N., Sorokin A. K., Bovykin V. I. Predprinimatel'stvo i predprinimateli Rossii ot istokov do nachala XX veka [Entrepreneurship and entrepreneurs of Russia from the origins to the early 20th century]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 1997.
- Bauer. A. A. S. I. Mal'tsov i istoriya razvitiya Mal'tsovskogo promyshlennogo raiona: Istoriko-kraevedcheskii ocherk [Maltsev and history of the Maltsovsky industrial district: local history essay]. Ch. II. Bryansk: Grani, 1998.
- Levanov B. V., Orchakova L. G. Rossiiskie metsenaty i blagotvoriteli 19-20 vv.: Uchebnoe posobie [Russian patrons of arts and philanthropists of the 19th-20th centuries: Textbook]. Moscow: RUDN, 2010.
- Gosudarstvennyi arkhiv Bryanskoi obl. F. 287. Op. 2.
- Galagan A. A. Istoriya Rossiiskogo predprinimatel'stva: Kurs lektsii [History of the Russian entrepreneurship: Lectures]. Moscow, 1997.
- GA RF. F.730. Op.1.