Comprehension of the text: epistemological analysis
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2017. Vol. 6. No. 1. Pp. 3-17.Get the full text (Russian)Email: email@example.com
Phenomenological understanding is implemented as a two-phased act of attribution and identification of symbolic meanings. The theming of understanding as a mental process is engaged in semantics. On the formal side it looks so that signs (words, phrases, utterances) - the associations, populations of abstract symbols - must be “translated” into substantive language in order to gain semiological, substantial, and meaningful identity. It is the task of semantics to work out the rules for such translation of symbolic expressions from symbolic to lexical-substantive-conceptual language - a responsible movement from the abstract symbolization to specific identification. The identification has thee aspects: semiological (personality and identity constituted by sociality-communication experience-significative value of symbolic forms), substantive (reification of signs), and semantic (mental theming, conceptualization of signs). The procedure of establishing the meaning is not semiotic; meaning, the truth of the characteristics of linguistic expressions constituents by appealing to non-linguistic values accumulating “supertext” information about the world. This procedure is defined by material coherence of the symbolicalness and the substantiveness, providing the link between language and objective thinking.
- • text
- • comprehension
- • meaning
- • symbolic meaning
- Belousov K. I. Sinergetika teksta [Text synergetics]. Moscow: Editorial URSS, 2008.
- Beregovskaya E. M. Ocherki po ekspressivnomu sintaksisu [Essays on expressive syntax]. Moscow: Rokhos, 2004.
- Vinogradov V. V. Russkii yazyk. Grammaticheskoe uchenie o slove [The Russian language. Grammatical teaching about the word]. Leningrad: Uchpedgiz, 1947.
- Gak V. G. Yazykovye preobrazovaniya [Language transformations]. Moscow: Yazyki slavyanskoi kul'tury, 1998.
- El'mslev L. Novoe v lingvistike. No. 1. Moscow, 1960.
- Zvegintsev V. A. Istoriya yazykoznaniya XIX-XX vekov [History of linguistics of the 19th-20th centuries]. Moscow: Prosveshchenie, 1964.
- Il'in V. V. Teoriya poznaniya. Simvologiya. Teoriya simvolicheskikh form [The theory of knowledge. Symbology. The theory of symbolic forms]. Moscow: izd-vo Moskovskogo universiteta, 2013.
- Ufimtseva A. A. Tipy slovesnykh znakov [Types of linguistic signs]. Moscow: Editorial URSS, 2004.