Philosophy of creation
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2016. Vol. 5. No. 3. Pp. 255-264.Get the full text (Russian)Email: email@example.com
This article is devoted to consideration of the main principles of the concept elaborated by the famous English scientist and Christian theologian J. Polkinghorne and directed to formation more accurate idea of Creator and creation. The basic ideas of this concept: the necessity to theology a rational approach to comprehension not only of nature and peculiarities of the universe but also of its Creator; an importance of co-ordination of the modern Christian doctrine of creation with the scientific picture of the world; the great significance of natural theology for solving propounded tasks; our universe is a complex, developing by interaction of chance and law, but at the same time well-ordered and interrelated structure; human being is a part of this structure; the act of creation is a continuing process; God express Himself through His creation; Creator is simultaneously immanent and transcendent to His creation; Creator’s actions are dependent only on His free will; Creator is not impersonal, but rational, loving and suffering; Creator presented universe with an ability to self-development and human being with free will; realization of this self-development is accompanied by unpredictable consequences which are unknown not only for man, but for Creator also; God only of His own free will realized a self-limitation of His omnipotence because He loves human beings; one of our main tasks is to learn how to use our superior value - our freedom.
- • Creator
- • creation
- • science
- • universe
- • natural theology
- • free will
- • evolution
- • chance
- Polkringhorne J. One world. Bristol: SPCK, 1987.
- Polkinkhorn D. Nauka i bogoslovie [Science and theology]. Moscow: Bibleisko-bogoslovskii institut sv. apostola Andreya, 2004.
- Polkinghorne J. Quantum Physics and Theology: An Unexpected Kinship. Yale University Press, 2007.
- Polkinghorne J. Science and Providence. Boston: New Science Library, 1989.
- Polkinkhorn D. Vera glazami fizika [The faith of the physicist]. Moscow: Bibleisko-bogoslovskii institut sv. apostola Andreya, 2001.
- Polkinghorne J. Exploring Reality: The intertwining of Science and Religion. New Haven University Press, 2007.