The influence of anemia on the quality of life of patients with early stages of diabetic nephropathy
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2016. Vol. 5. No. 2. Pp. 191-199.Get the full text (Russian)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The concept of quality of life is the basis for a new paradigm of clinical medicine. Its assessment is considered to be an important instrument in determining disease severity and effectiveness of different treatment modalities. Our studies are devoted to the problem of diabetes complications especially anemia in patients with diabetic kidney disease. Anemia in subjects with diabetic nephropathy may result from various pathogenic factors including erythropoietin deficiency, iron deficiency, vitamin B12 and/or folate deficiencies, the effects of proinflammatory cytokines etc. Diabetic patients with anemia are at increased risk of cardiovascular accidents and death. The aim of this study was to assess the influence of anemia on the quality of life of patients with early stages of diabetic nephropathy. We investigated 127 patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and early diabetic nephropathy (chronic kidney disease stages 1-3). Anemia was defined according to the World Health Organization criteria. Anemic patients were divided into three groups according to the stage of chronic kidney disease. Patients’ quality of life was assessed with SF-36 health survey. Anemic patients had lower scores of physical role functioning and emotional role functioning as compared to the patients with normal hemoglobin level, irrespective of the stage of chronic kidney disease. Patients with anemia and chronic kidney disease stage 3 had lower scores of general health perceptions, physical functioning, bodily pain, vitality and mental health than patients in the non-anemic group. Social role functioning was similar in anemic and non-anemic patients. The possible mechanisms and implications of the above mentioned findings are discussed with a medical and humanitarian perspective. The directions of further studies are proposed.
- • quality of life
- • diabetes mellitus
- • diabetic nephropathy
- • chronic kidney disease
- • anemia
- Novik A. A., Ionova T. I. Rukovodstvo po issledovaniyu kachestva zhizni v meditsine [Guidebook for medical studies of life quality]. 2nd ed. Moscow: OLMA Media Grupp. 2007.
- International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 7th ed. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation, 2015.
- Shishkova Yu. A., Surkova E. V., Motovilin O. G., Maiorov A. Yu. Sakharnyi diabet. 2011. No. 3. Pp. 70–75.
- Rubin R. R., Peyrot M. Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 1999. Vol. 15: Pp. 205–218. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-7560(199905/06)15:3<205::AID-DMRR29>3.0.CO;2-O
- Nicolucci A., Kovacs Burns K., Holt R. I. G. Diab. Med. 2013. Vol. 30. Pp. 767–777. https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12245
- Joss N., Patel R., Paterson K. QJM. 2007. Vol. 100. Pp. 641–647. https://doi.org/10.1093/qjmed/hcm080
- Bosman D. R., Osborne C. A., Marsden J. T. Diabet. Med. 2002. Vol. 19. Pp. 65–69. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1464-5491.2002.00634.x
- Pchelin I. Yu., Shishkin A. N. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Seriya 11. Meditsina. 2010. No. 2. Pp. 73–80.
- Andro M., Le Squere P., Estivin S., Gentric A. Eur. J. Neurol. 2013. Vol. 20. Pp. 1234–1240. https://doi.org/10.1111/ene.12175
- Peuranpää P. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2014. Vol. 93. Pp. 654–660. https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs.12394
- Doehner W., von Haehling S., Anker S. D. Int. J. Cardiol. 2013. Vol. 162. Pp. 67–68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2012.10.016
- Ramos F., Pedro C., Tormo M. Eur. J. Cancer Care. 2016. In print. https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12426
- Lee Y. J., Kim M. S., Cho S, Kim S. R. Int. J. Clin. Pract. 2013. Vol. 67. Pp. 363–368. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcp.12020
- Okubo R., Kai H., Kondo M. Clin. Exp. Nephrol. 2014. Vol. 18. Pp. 697–703. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10157-013-0901-x
- Hsu K. L., Fink J. C., Ginsberg J. S. Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2015. Vol. 66. Pp. 621–629.
- Stugiewicz M., Tkaczyszyn M., Kasztura M. Eur. J. Heart Fail. 2016. In print. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejhf.467
- Pchelin I. Yu., Shishkin A. N., Korobitsyn L. P. Nefrologiya. 2010. Vol. 14. No. 3. Pp. 32–36.
- Michelakos T., Kousoulis A. A., Katsiardanis K. J. Aging Health. 2013. Vol. 25. Pp. 589–616. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264313482488
- Camara M. L., Corrigan F., Jaehne E. J. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2013. Vol. 38. Pp. 3102–3114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2013.09.010
- Zhang X., Norris S. L., Gregg E. W. The Diabetes Educator. 2007. Vol. 33. Pp. 273–281. https://doi.org/10.1177/0145721707299265