Hilbert program of formalism as a working philosophical direction for consideration of the bases of mathematics
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2015. Vol. 4. No. 6. Pp. 534-545.Get the full text (Russian)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the article, philosophical and methodological analysis of the program of Hilbert's formalism as a really working direction for consideration of the bases of modern mathematics is presented. For the professional mathematicians methodological advantages of the program of formalism advanced by David Hilbert, consist primarily in the fact that the highest possible level of theoretical rigor of modern mathematical theories was practically represented there. To resolve the fundamental difficulties of the problem of bases of mathematics, according to Hilbert, the theory of mathematical proof is needed, but contrary to popular belief rigorous formalization of the proof is not a synonym of reliability and rigor of mathematical reasoning from the point of view of the philosophy of the foundations of mathematics. In fact, the consistency of the theories is "more important" than their logical consistency because not every statement, which does not contradict to the reasonable ones, can be attributed to a true statement. However, for working mathematicians, Hilbert is logical and consistent and the axiomatic method and formalism are an essential part of their rules of thinking.
- • philosophy of mathematics
- • the problem of bases of modern mathematics
- • program of formalism
- Rodin A. V. Matematika Evklida v svete filosofii Platona i Aristotelja [Euclid mathematics in the light of the philosophy of Plato and Aristotle]. Moscow: Nauka, 2003.
- Vejl' G. Izbrannye trudy: v 2 t. Moscow: Factorial, 1998. Vol. II. Pp. 480–520.
- Hilbert D. Izbrannye trudy: v 2 t. Moscow: Factorial, 1998. Vol. I. Pp. 449–456.
- Vejl' G. O filosofii matematiki. Moscow: KomKniga, 2005. Pp. 26–33.
- Sultanova L. B. Neyavnoe znanie v razvitii matematiki: monografiya [Implicit Knowledge in Development of Mathematics: Monograph]. Ufa: RIC BashGU, 2009.
- Erovenko V. A., Mihajlova N. V. Vestnik Belorusskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Serija 3. 2003. No. 2. Pp. 55–62.
- Hilbert D. Izbrannye trudy: v 2 t. Moscow: Factorial, 1998. Vol. II. Pp. 418–430.
- Celishhev V. V., Hlebalin A. V. Vestnik Novosibirskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Serija: Filosofija. 2014. Vol. 12. Issue 3. Pp. 5–11.
- Perminov V. Ja. Filosofija i osnovanija matematiki. Moscow: Progress–Tradicija, 2001.
- Ruzavin G. I. Metodologicheskij analiz osnovanij matematiki [Philosophy and bases of mathematics]. Moscow: Nauka, 1988. Pp. 108–116.