“The Silver Age”, the Crisis of Humanism, the Heritage of F. M. Dostoevsky's Art and Russian Symbolism
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2014. Vol. 3. No. 4. Pp. 246-255.Get the full text (Russian)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The article deals with the human, aesthetic and spiritual problems of Russian symbolism in connection with development of a creative heritage of F. Dostoevsky. In the article N. Berdjaev's point of view on development of humanism of the Renaissance type in Russia of the late 19th and early 20th centuries is given and a problem of the person in F. Dostoevsky's prose is appointed. The author discusses a question on a degree and character of influence of problems of the person and features of a genre of the novel of Dostoevsky's type on the formation of Russian symbolism. A. Volynsky, leading Russian symbolists, Viach. Ivanov, A. Belyj, D. Merezhkovsky have arranged mysticism, subjectivity and tragic element concerning to art and proclaimed art as the aesthetic and religious act. In Dostoevsky's art Russian symbolists recognized their own important theme: the understanding of the world and the person in terms of a tragical category and revealing the dramatic position of the person facing unspirital and meaningless practice of modern society as the main thing in the literature. The author is arrived at a conclusion that Russian symbolists have connected Dostoevsky's art with the newest tendencies in Russian art and culture of beginning of 20th century and have created the original tragical and symbolic concept of Dostoevsky's creative works.
- • N. Berdiaev
- • Renaissance
- • S. Makovsky
- • the Silver Age
- • F. M. Dostoevsky
- • A. Volyjnsky
- • Viach. Ivanov
- • Russian symbolism
- • A. Belyj
- • D. Merezhkovsky
- • tragedy
- • tragic
- • novel
- • Russian culture
- Berdyaev N. A. Filosofiya tvorchestva, kul'tury i iskusstva: V 2-kh tomakh [Philosophy of Creativity, Culture and Arts: In 2 Vol.]. Moscow, 1994. Vol. 1.
- Makovskii S. K. Na Parnase Serebryanogo veka [On the Parnassus of the Silver Age]. Moscow, 2000.
- Berdyaev N. A. Russkaya ideya. Osnovnye problemy russkoi mysli XIX veka i nachala XX veka O Rossii i russkoi filosofskoi kul'ture. Russkie filosofy posleoktyabr'skogo zarubezh'ya. Moscow, 1990. Pp. 237.
- Berdyaev N. A. Filosofiya tvorchestva, kul'tury i iskusstva: V 2-kh tomakh [Philosophy of Creativity, Culture and Arts: In 2 Vol.]. Moscow, 1994. Vol. 2.
- Belyi A. Simvolizm kak miroponimanie [Symbolism as a World View]. Moscow, 1994.
- Sologub F. K. Taina zhizni [Mystery of Life]. Moscow, 2013.
- Dostoevskii F. M. Sobranie sochinenii v 10 tomakh [Collected Works in 10 Vol.]. Moscow, 1956. Vol. 3.
- Volynskii A. L. F. M. Dostoevskii. Kriticheskie stat'I [F. M. Dostoevsky. Critical Articles]. Saint Petersburg, 1909.
- Merezhkovskii D. O prichinakh upadka i o novykh techeniyakh sovremennoi russkoi literatury. URL: http://merezhkovskiy.lit-info.ru/merezhkovskiy/kritika-mer/o-prichinah-upadka/glava-iv.htm.
- Merezhkovskii D. L. Tolstoi i Dostoevskii [L. Tolstoy and Dostoevsky]. Saint Petersburg, 1909. Vol. 2.
- Voloshin M. Liki tvorchestva [The Faces of Creation]. Leningrad, 1988.
- Ivanov V. Borozdy i mezhi. Opyty esteticheskie i kriticheskie [Furrows and Boundaries. Aesthetic and Critical Experiments]. Moscow, 1916.