Music in Phantastes and Lilith by George Macdonald: the Phenomenon of Intermediality
Liberal Arts in Russia. 2014. Vol. 3. No. 1. Pp. 16-20.Get the full text (English)Email: email@example.com
Musical elements in the structure of G. MacDonald’s Phantastes and Lilith in the context of the theory of intermediality are studied. The following musical elements are analyzed: motif of fairy world’s music, images of music of nature, musical description of characters’ voices, insertions of songs, interpretation of music as an art. These musical elements act as a characterization of topoi, landscape, characters, technique of stylistic imitation and means of rhythmic organization of narration, expression of author’s point of view. The paper concludes that music in G. MacDonald’s fairy romances is represented by means of intermedial imitation and intermedial thematization used for creation of full of sound fairy world and expression of Romantic view on music essence.
- • intermediality
- • literature and music
- • imitation
- • thematization
- • interpretation
- • George MacDonald
- Leninskii komsomol. Ocherki po istorii VLKSM [Leninist Komsomol. Essays on the History of the All-Union Leninist Young Communist League]. Molodaya gvardiya, 1963.
- Ivanova L. A. Budushchee v nastoyashchem – zhizn' i tvorchestvo Igorya Petrovicha Ivanova [Future in the Present –Life and Work of Igor Petrovich Ivanov]. Ryazan', 1996.
- Pozyvnye istorii [Callsign Stories]. Moscow: Molodaya gvardiya, 1970.
- Sokolov R. V. Istoriya kommunarstva: retrospektiva i perspektiva v kontekste obshchestvenno-pedagogicheskogo dvizheniya. URL: www.altruism.ru
- Avanesyan. I. D. Igor' Petrovich Ivanov: nauka i zhizn' [Igor Petrovich Ivanov: Life and Studies]. Saint Petersburg: Izd-vo RGPU im. A. I. Gertsena, 2009.
- Polishchuk A. V. Stanovlenie i razvitie idei kommunarskoi pedagogiki: avtoref. dis. ... kand. ped. nauk. Arkhangel'sk, 2010.
- Obrashchenie Mezhdunarodnogo orgkomiteta «Komsomolu-95». URL: komsomol-100.clan.su